Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Challenges

Every job has its challenges. Whether you are a stay at home mom or dad, a factory worker, salesman or saleswoman, a social worker, an attorney, a clerk at a grocery or the teller at a bank. Well being a Physician Assistant also has its challenges. I want to begin by saying I love my job. There are several reasons why I wanted to be a PA and I would name them for you but that is not what this post is about, or is it?

Some parts of my job are easy, looking in ears and listening to hearts, finding the source of a high fever and making kids feel better. I love when kids are excited to see me and are not scared. Sometimes when they are scared and I am able to take my time and "win" them over and they allow me to examine them without a single tear I feel so good. Or when a parent comes in very concerned about an issue with their child and I am able to reassure them and they leave feeling comforted. You do know that half my job is dealing with parents even though I work in pediatrics. Often the parents are in worse shape than the kids. These are the things that are easy. I love getting to know my patients and their families. Watching someone elses child grow is second only to watching your own children grow. I smile every time a child calls me "Doctor Meghan" even though I am a PA they still call me Doctor.

The things that are challenging and just plain hard are confronting a parent on something they are doing wrong or poorly. Telling a parent that their child is overweight or obese, when the parent is often in the same shape. Diagnosing a child with a chronic illness or telling a parent their child is not developing properly. Talking with parents about not smoking in the car or house with their children. Suspecting abuse and deciding how to bring up the topic and get the child in a safe situation. Talking to teenagers about drug use. Seeing children that are being neglected and ignored because their parents are too consumed with their own lives. Hearing a parent say that they cannot afford new shoes for their child. These are some of the things that are tough. I am a person who likes to "fix". This is one of the reasons I became a PA, I want to make people feel better, I want to leave them feeling comforted and cared for. It breaks my heart when I cannot "fix" a child. As hard as my job is some days, I took an oath, an oath to serve and protect and prevent. Even though there are some hard days and challenges I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability. I pray that I make a difference in the lives of my patients.

What is challenging or rewarding about your job?

No comments:

Post a Comment