Sunday, May 24, 2009

Friday Night Fun, Well Maybe Not

I spent about 30 minutes of my Friday evening making homemade laundry detergent. For less than 1 dollar I have 8 containers of laundry soap (50-62 oz each). I did get the recipe from the Duggars website, you have probably heard of the show- Meet the Duggars- the family that has 18 kids. I have probably watched the show twice and the one time I watched they were making laundry detergent. If you know me you know I like to try new things and that I am frugal. I have made the dry version and then Friday I made the liquid (better value). I think your clothes smell good and it keeps ours clean.

Liquid Soap (front load or top load)
4 cups hot tap water
1 soap bar (I use Zote because that is what I can find, they also suggest Fels Naptha)
1 cup washing soda (baking soda)
1/2 cup borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until soap is melted and dissolved. Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, soda and borax, mix until dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let set overnight. Stir in morning and fill laundry soap containers half full of soap and then the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use. Yields 10 gallons.

Top load- 5/8 Cup per load
Front load -1/4 cup per load

I only had enough containers to make 5 gallons. The zote bar is 97 cents at walmart. Such a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment