Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Scones











When I buy buttermilk to make Buttermilk Oatmeal Waffles I have plenty of milk left so I usually make Cranberry Oatmeal scones. I made them twice this time and I still have some buttermilk. Sometimes I use a biscuit cutter and have nice matching shapes and sometimes I form a circle with the dough and just cut wedges, a bit more rustic. Either way you cut the scones they are delicious. I tried something new this time and added some fresh orange zest, yummy! Scones are great with tea or coffee.


Cran Oat Scones:
2 C all purpose flour

1/2 C quick oats
6 T sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

10 T cold unsalted butter (I use 1 stick and call it good)

1/2 C dried cranberries

3/4 C buttermilk ( I buy fat free)

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl combine flour, oatmeal, soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in the cold butter until dough is crumbly. Fold in cranberries (and orange zest if desired). Add buttermilk and stir lightly, do not overwork. On a lightly floured surface pat dough into a circle 2 inches thick. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Transfer to baking stone or sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 22 minutes. So good.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! those look yummy! I can't wait to visit, perhaps we can make some while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing!

    One trick that my mom taught me is to use sour milk in place of buttermilk...I am in the same boat - if I buy a whole thing of buttermilk, too much goes to waste...but when I use sour milk I am using something that normally would go to waste anyway! I haven't noticed a huge difference in taste, but I don't make that much that often, so maybe you could test it out and let me know :) :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete