Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Southern Soup

Tonight we had a new soup for dinner. I created the recipe yesterday afternoon while we were all home due to the snow. I think it is safe to say that I had never eaten collards until we moved to North Carolina. I think collards are okay as a side dish but wonderful in soups! Sydney loved the soup especially the beans!

1/4 package of smoked sausage, cut bite size
1/2 can collard greens
1 can northern beans or cannelloni beans
2 cans of chicken stock
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 onion
cumin
crushed red pepper flakes
pepper

I cooked onion, and smoked sausage in small amount of olive oil in a large stock pot for 3-4 minutes. Then I added 1/8-1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes and a dash or two of cumin. Add collard greens, beans, chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring to boil and then simmer 15 minutes. Add pepper and salt to taste, Enjoy. This recipe served our family of 3 and we had a small amount of left overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment