Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Cooking

On Sunday afternoons I can usually be found in the kitchen cooking several dishes at one time. I love to cook and bake and I am limited with what I can make during the week due to time. I usually clean and chop vegetables for dishes during the week so that I can get dinner on the table faster on week nights. Today Sydney and I made a black bean soup for dinner tonight (new recipe that I will post if its a hit), oatmeal cookies for the week, chopped vegetables for a beef stew, and made pimento cheese for lunches. I come from a long line of cooks and bakers. My grandma and grandpa Sandera both enjoy being in the kitchen and cooking, my mom and dad both cook, several of my aunts are great cooks and bakers. One of the character traits that I hope to pass to Sydney is the love of cooking and baking. This afternoon she enjoyed helping put cookies on the baking stone. She loves to help wash beans and then wants to keep checking on them as they soak to see if they are getting bigger. I have so many fond memories of being with family in the kitchen and I hope to pass those on to my children. I have one memory that is rather comical. I used to love to bake and of course since I am a talker I would pretend to have my own cooking show and talk into the spoon for a microphone. I can remember standing on a chair in my parents kitchen making brownies and lecturing about how important it is to clean the kitchen as you prepare your food. I will probably never have my own cooking show but I certainly enjoy preparing food for friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. I was just telling Jerrilyn, at work that you were the original Rachel Ray; back in the day. It's to funny that you should post about it now. I bet there's a picture of you playing Food Show somewhere in those photo albums that I have packed away. Who knows it could end up on my blog someday. Love Ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete