Thursday, December 30, 2010

Change, please NO

I do not like change. I like routine and order. I am what most people would call a creature of habit. I do however like variety. I could stand to roll with the punches a little more. I am getting better now that I have two children, I really had no choice but to learn to accept some change.

Our insurance is changing. For the past 5 years that I have been out of school I have had Bill on my insurance that I get through work. Prior to my job Bill was uninsured. We have been so blessed. Bill has insulin dependant diabetes, and heart disease, which means he takes a list of medications and cannot live without insulin. On our current insurance I am able to get 4 vials of each insulin that he takes for 5 dollars each- the total cash price is right at 1000 dollars. So now with this unwelcome change he has to go on Rebath insurance and they have no coverage until they have met their 2700 dollar deductible. Yuck! So until we meet the deductible it will be the way it was before and we will pay cash for everything. He does have an HSA account but the money has to come out of his check and in order to have enough money to cover monthly meds it is just over 700 dollars a month.

We have no say in the matter so we are rolling with the punches. Actually I feel knocked over by the punch. It seems like we cannot get a break. Our water heater died just before my birthday and it was 900 dollars for a new one. Yeah! Actually major bummer. We had planned a trip to Ohio and then Indiana to visit family and friends but with all the unexpected expenses we just could not afford to go. Did I mention I hate change and that includes a change in plans. My sister Audra was home from New Mexico with her new baby and not going to IN meant not meeting up with them, bummer.

So a change in plans put a bit of a damper on our holiday break but we decided to stay home and make the best of it. Bill and I were both a bit cranky but our kids had a great vacation and we tried our best to savor the moments.

We are taking a positive attitude about the New Year despite some negative changes. Praying that somehow it will all come together and being as responsible as possible with our finances.
Any changes in your life, good or bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment