Monday, September 26, 2011

Twist on an old favorite

Saturday afternoon while I was making meatloaf I realized we were a little low on ketchup so I substituted BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece Southern Style) and it was yummy.  I also added 1/4 green pepper finely diced because I had some and peppers are high in vitamin C (Griffin is fighting a cold).  One medium green pepper has more vitamin C than a medium orange.  This is the recipe I usually use from Betty Crocker for Meatloaf:

1 lb lean ground beef (I use 93/7)
1 clove garlic or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 small onion finely diced
2 slices of bread with crust- cut up small
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sage ( I usually do not have)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground mustard (dry)
1/8 tsp pepper
1 egg
1/3 cup ketchup

Heat oven to 350- combine all ingredients and put in ungreased loaf pan.  Midway through I drain off any grease.  Bake uncovered 50-60 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes and cut.  Sometimes I put ketchup on the top but usually I mix at least half of it in and this time I mixed all the bbq sauce in the meat mixture.  Yummy.  Bill loves meatloaf and so do the kids.  Today has been rainy and he had been working all day so I wanted him to come home to a hot meal, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try this sometime, because for some reason the recipes that I have for meatloaf never turn out!!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete