Thursday, October 6, 2011

WEIRD-Money

I have started reading Weird: Because normal isn't working by Craig Groeschel and it is captivating.  I am taking notes and looking up scripture and rethinking the way we live.  Last week was the first sermon in this series based on the book Weird and it was convicting and eye opening.  Pastor Dean did not preach but a man named John who is in charge of finances at our church.  I have heard many sermons of tithing but this one was different.  It was not just about tithing but about the way we perceive our money (actually God's money).  The main points of the sermon were as follows:
  1. Everything Belongs to God (Exodus 19:5 and Job 41:11)  If we think of everything we have as a gift from God then it is easy to see why we should give back to him.  If a friend gave you 10,000 dollars shouldn't you be happy to give him back 1,000. 
  2. God gives us money to be Generous
  3. Money is related to Worship ( Philippians 4:18, Malachi 3:8-10 and 2 Corinthians 9:6-7)  I am not sure why I had not thought this way before but why is that I think of worship as singing and praying and not tithing?   In the Old Testament we read all about the temple and sacrifices that were made.  The Bible tells us to give our first fruits ( Proverbs 3:9-10) and so often we give the leftovers or none because there are no leftovers.  God did not want a 2 legged goat and he does not want leftovers -we need to have FAITH that if we give what is in our heart to give God will provide. 
  4. The Gospel Motivates us to give radically
The book expands on money and more about what the Bible says about wealth and money.  I was convicted and we plan to make some changes in our household.  Our culture is consumed with money and the things we can buy with it.  I want something more than things- since I cannot take them with me they are of little value.  I will share my thoughts and what I learned on time next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment