Monday, July 6, 2009

Why, Why, Why

Why?? Sydney is at the "why" stage. It seems that no matter what you say she asks why? Here are a few conversations from today:

Bill and Sydney looking at newspaper together:
Syd: "why is that boy wearing that?"
Bill: "It is a special suit because he was burned."
Syd: "why?"
Bill: "Because there was an accident."
Syd: "why was there an accident?
Bill: "because accidents happen."
Syd: "why?"
Bill: "they just do."
Syd: "why is he wearing that?"
Bill: "so he can heal, its like a big band aid"

Mommy and Syd on the way home from school:
Syd: "are you sad?"
Mommy: "no, I am happy."
Syd: "why?"
Mommy: "because I had a good day at work. Did you have a good day at school?"
Syd: why did you have a good day at work?

Mommy: "Because I like my job."
Syd: "why?"
Mommy: "Because I love making kids feel better."

I am not sure what age kids usually go through the why stage, but boy it can be exhausting and at times I run out of answers. I wonder if God ever feels that way. I wonder if He ever tires of our questions and wants to just say "because I am." Sometimes there is no good answer for the why questions but it turns out okay in the end.

1 comment:

  1. My sister-in-law doesn't answer when her kids (and there are almost 8 of them) start into the why phase. She told me she just doesn't respond to "why" until they stop asking.

    I don't think I could do that, but it's funny how we all handle the whys.

    ReplyDelete