Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Adventure

A few weeks ago I went bra shopping. What an adventure. I probably needed new bras last year but then I was pregnant and I really did not see the point in buying new bras when things would be changing and then I would need nursing bras....you get the point. So now that I am no longer nursing and things have gone back to the way they were, well not really, things are the way they are after having two babies and nursing both of them, it was time to go shopping. The thoughts of walking into Victoria's Secret just cause me to shudder. I really do not care for Victoria's. To me the store is "sexified", I do not know that this is actually a word, but I am not all that comfortable going in Victoria's. So I went to Soma Intimates, they still have very flattering bras, panties and pjs but not a little more practical and classy than Victoria's. I looked around for a few minutes and then asked a lady for help. I explained that I just finished nursing my son about 1-2 months ago and I am starting to get closer to my goal weight so I think its time for new bras but I am not really sure what size I am at this point. Important to note that while I am closer to my goal weight my body is not what it used to be and may never be. After having a baby things just do not snap back into place, at least not for me. I cannot believe that I cannot remember the lady's name because by the end of my visit I wanted to give her a hug but it has been a few weeks, so lets just call her M. M takes some measurements and tells me an idea of what I may need, ask a few questions, under wire no under wire and then dashes off to get some bras to try. M tells me to go ahead and put on the first bra and then call for her and we will see how it fits. So I do just what I am told. Well she comes right in the dressing room with me and starts looking her and there, tugging a bit on the back and tells me "no this will never do." I was thinking "hmm I thought it was okay." She explains that you get 90% of your support from the band so I needed a tighter fight. Then we have this big discussion about how I do not like back fat or bulge. Remember I am still working on this body and it is no where near what I want but there are more important things in my life than "perfect body". So we continue. She comes in and approves or disapproves each bra and then dashes to get another size. In the end I had four different styles that fit excellent and so I then had to decided on two because it was buy one get one half off. I ended up with four fabulous bras. I have never felt better about a bra. I asked a few questions about laundering bras and learned a lot. Soma bras are machine washable on delicate but you are not supposed to hang them dry at all, they need to lay flat. Also when storing your bras you should not fold them in any way. I asked how often you should buy new bras and was surprised that the answer was every 9 months!! Who can afford that? Apparently there is a number of times you can wear a bra and then the support is gone, who knew? I definitely was given a bit of an education on bras. I am happy with my purchase and feel great in my new bras!

1 comment:

  1. Oh... my... gosh! I had the same experience! Well almost the same. I just got three new bras and inserts that fit FABULOUS from my friend Courtney's store! I also asked her a million questions and got educated on bras too. Too funny. After living in nursing bras and sports bra for a year, I feel like I have boobs again, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete