Monday, May 3, 2010

The Things She Says

My child says the funniest things. Sometimes we know exactly where she is pulling her info from and other times we think where did she ever hear that?



So I picked up both kids from daycare and on the way home we are talking about Sydney's day. We stopped at a light and there was a construction crew working, one of the workers was smoking a cigarette.

Sydney says, "Oh no that man is smoking (sounds like moking) a cigarette. He is making a bad choice and is going to lose his privileges."

I reply "Yes, he is making a bad choice."

Syd says "we do not smoke (moke) cigarettes and we do not burn animals with cigarettes." (I have no idea where this burning animals comment came from. Then she says "We don't peel animals either! We can peel onions or oranges or bananas but not animals."

At this point the expression on my face is hilarious, I am shocked and also trying not to laugh at the same time. Please understand we do not watch a lot of TV at our house and usually the TV is off in the evenings when I am with the kids. Bill and I watch TV after the kids are in bed but I am very cautious about what is on when the kids are up and also in general. I am not a big fan of TV and I think most shows that are on TV are junk. I do like discovery health and food network. We also do not hunt. We have never talked about peeling animals.





Last week I got a phone call from the daycare at work. It was Sydney's teacher, Mrs Ross calling to tell me about an incident. Sydney was hanging on her leg while out on the playground and Mrs Ross actually fell over and fell on Sydney. Mrs Ross said that it knocked the wind out of Syd but she did not cry. She felt every bone in her body to make sure nothing hurt. Sydney was fine but she wanted me to know what happened. I really do appreciate the care my children receive. I have told Sydney 100 times not to hang on my legs because I am afraid she will pull me over, this was an issue when I was holding Griffin and he was so small. So later that day on the way home I asked Sydney about her day and if anything happened.

Her response "no"

Me "did anything happen to Mrs. Ross today?"

Syd says "Oh yes she fell over."

Me "why did she fall over?"

Sydney "Because I was hanging on her leg."

Me "Did she fall on you?"

Syd "yes, but I'm okay."

Me "well Mrs Ross has a sore arm now"

Syd "what did her mom say about her arm?"

Me " I do not know."

Syd "does she have a mom"

Me "I am sure she does but she lives with her husband."

Syd "Is her husband a girl or a boy?"

Me "Husbands are boys, like mommy is married to daddy and I am a girl and daddy is a boy and we are married"

Syd "Yeah your married and when you get married you have a baby."



At this point I attempted to explain that some people are married and do not have any babies and some people have babies but are not married. Then I proceeded to change the subject.

2 comments: