Sunday, November 28, 2010

Generous or Irresponsible?

Okay this post may offend a few, sorry. I will say that there was a time when this would have offended me but I am at a different place now and I can respect the process we all go through in regards to spending.


Christmas spending can get out of hand. Many families have traditions and things that they do and the list that they buy for and that is always what they have done so they continue, whether they can afford it or not. Growing up we had a drawing and you spent a certain amount on the person you drew. This method keeps it more affordable for big families. It was always fun to draw a different persons name and shop. Since Bill and I moved to NC we have not participated in my families Christmas (unless we were going to be in MI). In a way I miss buying for my family but at the same time it seems silly to shop for everyone. I feel like we are all so blessed and it is ridiculous to feel that we need to buy something for everyone (most of us do not need a thing). The other reality is that gift giving and receiving should not be the focus of Christmas. We celebrate Christmas because of Christ's birth. I am just like you and I love to get gifts. I also love the joy of giving gifts but if there is guilt attached because it was irresponsible spending then the joy is lost. Two of the last five Christmas seasons I was on maternity leave and money was very limited. Bill and I agree it is irresponsible to spend money on Christmas gifts when we do not have the cash. I refuse to charge Christmas (and anything else for that matter) that is not a necessity. The past few Christmas' have been just as special despite little gift receiving and giving.

We have lots of family and also friends that we would love to lavish with gifts but it is just not responsible. What is your opinion and how do you make the holidays special without the crazy spending?



Part two of this post is about how you can make the holidays special without spending lots of money.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree...it does get sooo out of hand so quickly for some people. For us, we set a dollar amount per person that we need to buy for, and that way we keep it reasonable and affordable.

    We also teach the kids that it is important to do something nice for others. One year we did a shoebox ministry so they could each pick out stuff for another child. We always have the kids pick out something small for each of us in the family so that they know the importance of giving. We also make them open one present at a time, one child at a time.

    But we are still a LONG way to go (in my opinion) for our kids to really "get" what Christmas is all about and stop being so self-focused and "getting" focused. But they are only 3 and 5 :) :)

    I hope to keep teaching them every year as we go!! It is a great reminder for us adults too :) :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete