Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My nephew

He was adorable when he was little!




He is still adorable as a big boy!







What a smile!







My nephew Michael is a special guy. From the moment my sister Amanda and her husband Derek agreed to be his foster parents we were all in love. Michael has since been adopted and we are still in love. He is on the autistic spectrum and has needed special services and therapies from the beginning. Michael has come so far and excelled in so many areas. My sister is currently fighting a battle with the school system for Michael to have a one on one. Before Michael came into our lives I thought I understood what it would be like to be an advocate for a child, in reality I had no idea. It is almost a full time job! My sister is an audiologist and has a very good understanding of what services are available and how to obtain them but oh the obstacles. Check out this post on my mom's blog and please pray for Michael and my sister and her husband. I imagine that it is frustrating to know that your child can achieve greater goals and expectations if only he had the services that he deserves. Michael is such a warm child and is so smart. He is a joy to be around and a real character. I am praying that a door is opened and the right person comes into Michael's life to be his aid, someone that will love him and see all his potential!

1 comment:

  1. Meghan you said it all so well. Thanks for posting the prayer request on your blog. Oh! the cute pictures you found...Mr. Charisma - That's Michael.

    Keep the prayers coming everyone, Michael is not getting the services he desparely needs and qualifies for by law.

    ReplyDelete