Thursday, January 14, 2010

Trust your Instincts

My baby is sick. Griffin Sawyer started daycare last week, this week would be his second week. Well Monday he coughed a few times but nothing major. I found out Monday that my best friends little guy has RSV, and he attends the same daycare and is also in the infant room with Griffin. We all hung out together on Saturday but Griffin was in my Moby wrap most of the time or in my arms at dinner so the kids were not really close to each other. So anyway Charlie got worse Sunday night so they took him to the doctor Monday and since they found out he has RSV they have kept him home all week. So back to my instincts- Griffin coughed a few times Monday but Monday night he was up twice (totally unusual) and I could hear the congestion but when I tried to suction him nothing came out. No fever and still nursing great and happy. I took him to daycare on Tuesday and he had a good day- ate a little less than usual and again a few coughs. Tuesday night I had planned to take him with me to book club and Bill arranged to stay in with Sydney. Well I just felt like I needed to keep Griffin home so we stayed in. At this point the poor guy is hoarse and when he cries nothing comes out. We spent a good portion of Tuesday night sleeping in the recliner with him on my chest. Still no fever. I took him to day care yesterday morning and went to work for my half day. I picked him up at lunch time and took him back to my office to have him checked. I kept telling myself I was being paranoid and it was most likely just a cold but I had this feeling and knowing that he had exposure to RSV I wanted someone else to listen to his chest ect. So sure enough he has RSV. Bummer. Twelve weeks of great health, one week of day care and now he is sick. I feel so bad for him. We are doing about all you can do, breathing treatments, saline and suction and snuggle time. Because his voice is gone and when he cries you can barely hear him I was worried about letting him sleep in his own room. Last night I moved the pack in play from the office downstairs into our bedroom . I feel so much better with him one foot from me. We had an okay night. Before I put him down to sleep he had a bad coughing spell and spit up some mucus. But once he was asleep he did well and we were only up twice in the night. He is a trooper with his treatments and actually helps me hold the mask. Sydney has had treatments in the past and she was the same way. She just sits and holds the mask to her face and gets upset when it is over. Last night she saw the nebulizer downstairs and asked for a treatment! Crazy girl. So I am home today and tomorrow- so much for going back to work. Bill can hardly stand the sound of Griffin's cough so I am not comfortable leaving him home with daddy. Despite being sick he is a happy guy, talking and even laughing occasionally. His voice is pitiful but I am glad he is in good spirits.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry he is sick...that is so hard :( Glad you got him checked out before he got worse!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete