Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Responsibility

This is Sydney's new chore chart that she got from Grammie and Grandpa. Prior to this chart I was going online and printing chore charts for her and letting her put stickers on the chart each night. This is a chart by Melissa and Doug and I love it! Some of the chores are for older kids such as emptying the dishwasher and taking out the trash so it is something we will be able to use for a long time. Also some of the magnets say things like "Say please and thank you" or "I shared with a friend", I think these are great manners! There are also blank magnets that you can write your own chore on. The little circles say things like "awesome, way to go, good job, great job." It is a real challenge at times to get Sydney to brush teeth or get dressed but with her new chart she is eager to comply so at the end of the day she can fill in all the spaces with circles. We have the chart hanging in our laundry room by all her art/craft stuff at a level that she can reach.

I think kids should learn responsibility at an early age. I despise laziness and and I do not want to raise lazy children. Bill and I want our children to understand that we all have responsibility and that we are a team. Our house could not function the way that it does with only one person doing all the work, we all work together to make things run smoothly. Sydney is learning that clearing her spot at the dinner table or picking up her toys is a big help. We do not have a reward system for the chore chart. I may periodically reward Sydney for a job well done or a good week but I do not want her to think that she gets a prize every time she does a chore or shares with a friend. How do you teach your children responsibility? At what age do you think kids should have some chores?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more...and we started our kids out early as well - probably around 2 or even earlier. Simple things like picking up the shoes, helping to set the table, picking up their rooms, making their beds, etc. I agree that kids need to learn that a family means we all work together...and sometimes there are things you don't want to do, but you do it anyway...and you are right...usually there aren't rewards. But I think it is a simple but great life lesson. I don't think it is ever too early to prepare them for adulthood.

    I really like your chart! What a great idea...

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear she's willingly brushing her teach and getting those jammies on.

    No household can run by mom alone when she works outside the home, nor do I think it should even if she doesn't. We all learn by doing, even the little ones.

    That Gramie she knows how to shop!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute chart. More than teaching kids responsibility, I think it also gives them a sense of acomplishment, which is important for their self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete