Friday, January 1, 2010

Goals for the New Year

A new year, the year of 2010. I have been thinking about my goals for the year of 2010 and I thought I would share a few with my readers. Bill and I usually try to come up with a few family goals for the year and we started to talk about them the other day but we have not finished the conversation (this happens a lot in a house with kids). So far here are some of my thoughts,

  1. Be healthier- I think this is on the list every year but it is a constant choice with many restarts. I try to cook healthy and I pack our lunches so we are already making good choices but there is always room for improvement. Of course since I had a baby recently I have a few pounds to lose but it is not all about the weight. We want to be healthy and take care of our bodies and I think what you put in your mouth is a good place to start. It will be a challenge to get our exercise but we are going to try.
  2. Family time- my husband works long hours and unfriendly family hours. We are blessed to have the jobs we have but Bill's job does have bad hours. If anyone has ever worked in sales you understand. Rebath schedules appointments at 10, 2 and 6. The evening appointment is often the best time because both parties are home and are able to make a decision but of course this is dinner time and bed time at our house. Sydney is just now to the age where she asks for daddy at bed time. At the end of my pregnancy I had Bill block his Wednesday evening appointment to ensure he would be home to have dinner with us and help with the bed time routine. I think for the new year we will keep that slot blocked so we have at least one night during the week when daddy is home for dinner and bed time.
  3. More time for Bill and I - wow what a goal. Since we both work during the week we hate to be away from our kids on the weekend and very rarely leave them with a babysitter. If we go out shopping or to dinner we just take them along. We both recognize how important it is for us to keep our relationship strong but it is a challenge. I am not sure how to achieve this goal but we need to try. Any tips?
  4. More patience for me- I know that with two kids and going back to work I am going to need this. I will have to keep my focus on what is most important and let some other things go at times in order to keep from losing it. I need to continue to learn to pick my battles (particularly with my 3 year old) and remember to redirect at times.
  5. Grow closer to God- I have recently got into a great routine with devotions and need to continue even after I go back to work. Bill and I are thinking of taking a class on raising your children and incorporating the Bible in everyday life with your kids. I really would like to start scripture memory verses with Sydney but have not made the time yet.
  6. Enjoy the little moments. "...there's the real danger of overlooking a very important day...today. For this is the place and time for living. Let us live abundantly and beautifully while it is here." Esther Baldwin York I recently came across this quote and I was inspired and convicted. So often I am looking forward to the next day or the next big event and I am missing out on the actual day and moment. I want to change this behavior in 2010.

Well this is the list for now. Do you have a list of goals for 2010?

1 comment:

  1. This list looks very much like the list we have been discussing here! Crazy how sometimes we are all trying to accomplish the same things! Good Luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete