Thursday, March 18, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Do you ever need an attitude adjustment? Have you ever heard the expression? It seems I heard this expression a few times growing up and I use it myself from time to time. Some days I think to myself wow I need to do something about my attitude. Do you ever have a day when your attitude is so bad you do not even want to be around yourself?

Well I will be the first to admit I have these days. I know my limits and when I am at the point where I cannot take it anymore I just get the essentials done and go to bed as early as possible. Of course it is not always possible with two little ones around but you know what I mean. I am amazed at the things that I can do to help my attitude turn around. I have found that if I listen to Christian music in the car versus the news or a secular station I am in a much better mindset. I also found that having a scripture verse on the dash really helps.

Sydney and I are working on memorizing scripture. The verse this particular week was Psalm 118, verse 24 "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." I cannot remember the day of the week when this happened but we had had a morning. Sydney was not cooperating, we were having to push her to do anything, hair, brush teeth, get dressed. Finally out the door with several instances of raised voices and angry faces. I of course cannot leave well enough alone and I lecture her on the way to school. We take Griffin to the baby room and Sydney is again arguing with me, not wanting to put on the booties then playing with toys that a baby had and not giving them back. Yes, I know little things but I could feel my anger inside just boiling up. I take her to her classroom and ask her to put up her things in her cubby, still not listening and playing with toys in the room. I then take her next door to a room she stays in until her teacher arrives. I ask her to wash hands, she stands there and will not more. I physically move her to the sink and put soap in her hands and turn on the water. She refuses to rub hands together. I wash her hands for her not so gently. I give her a hug and kiss and try to leave. Of course she is hanging on my leg. I leave the school with her crying and myself close to tears. Then I see the verse on my dashboard. I realize I could have done so much better. Yes, she was being difficult but I am the adult and I should set a good example. I need an attitude adjustment. I thank God for the opportunity to start over and that He does not require perfection. A scripture verse I am working on now is Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." What can I say I am a work in progress.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I have too many days like that - sometimes moments every day. Thanks for sharing...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete