Monday, March 1, 2010

Not Me Monday




This actually happened several weeks ago. Sydney had an appointment scheduled with the ENT. I was feeling bad all week, nauseous and weak. I work with sick kids all the time plus some of our office staff had been sick so I figured I was catching a bug. It was my half day so once I wrapped up seeing patients I ate a bit of lunch while driving to the day care to nurse Griffin. I then headed home for an hour or so before it was time to go back and pick up Sydney. All I wanted to do when I got home was change into pajamas and lay down and take a nap. But being me I got myself together and sat down at my desk to pay bills and get organized. Bill was supposed to meet me at home to drive together to Sydney's appointment. Well Bill called and said that he was selling a bathroom and was running late but would be able to meet us at the appointment. I had actually considered just having him take her (this is how bad I felt) but I really wanted to be at the appointment to discuss Syd's health issues. So I left home and got to the day care to pick up Syd. Since her teacher knew I was coming early she had her up from nap and ready to go. Well not exactly... I have had an issue lately with Syd's face being clean when I pick her up. I just cannot handle snotty noses and dirty face. Part of the reason for the ENT visit is that Sydney has had repeated infections, strep, ears etc. So when I pick her up I see that her face is not clean to my standards and also that her hands are dirty. I have the lady from the office look at Sydney so she can see why I recently complained. She agrees with me and this issue has been resolved. But on this day I am changing her clothes from school clothes to good clothes in the lobby while talking to the lady. Then I set Sydney into her car seat and begin to clean her hands, it takes 3 wipes to have her clean. I am then trying to fix a pig tail and finally I feel like she is presentable. I drive to the ENT and get a call from Bill needing directions and 1 block from the office I look back at Sydney and discover that I never buckled her in her car seat. She is just sitting in the seat. I am trying to talk her into buckling her seat but by this time we are at our destination. I have never done this before and I am so thankful that we were safe during the short drive. My excuse is that I really did feel horrible that day and I was half in a daze but whew I cannot believe I did that.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry we all have done something like that. Just be thankful she was safe!

    We had two kids that needed ENT care. One for tonsillectomy and one for tubes. All I can say is both were life changing ...for the better. We waited way too long to get our sons tonsils out. I should have listened to my mothers intuition on that one. But it did help me to be more proactive when my daughter needed tubes. Hope you got some good answers and a good treatment plan for Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that with Titus once, and I was by myself, so I asked him if he could try to do it, and he did it!!! This was so fun to figure out, because he can buckle himself now, at least in the summer when he doesn't have as many layers! :) Not that I wanted to foget him getting buckled, but I was thankful it worked out this time!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman, I have done this too, so don't feel too bad! I looked back and said, "Henry, I forgot to buckle you," and he became hysterical! So there was no option of having him do it! One time after that I apparently forgot again and when I got into my own seat he was screaming that I forgot to buckle him. So he won't ever let me do that again! I have a process at daycare where I have Henry climb in and sit in his seat so he's not roaming the parking lot, then I strap Patrick in and go back and do Henry. But you know how it is, if there is an interruption (like you having to clean Syd up) things get forgotten. Glad you guys were safe!

    Miss you!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete